Annual Check-ups for Diabetic Patients
At Chelsea Medicine and Laser, we take diabetes seriously. That’s why we advise all our diabetic patients to come in for an annual 30-minute diabetes check-up. During your check-up, we’ll thoroughly review all potential health problems related to your diabetes and focus on preventing complications. Many blood and urine tests can be done in our office, so you’ll have the results instantly. You can expect your doctor to do the following during your appointment:
- Review blood glucose and HbA1c readings to ensure optimal control
- Review cholesterol
- Review diet and exercise goals to achieve a healthy weight
- Monitor blood pressure
- Review your diabetes and other medications
- Thoroughly inspect your feet for signs of damage to the skin, loss of sensation and to check the circulation
- Check a urine sample for signs of kidney damage
- Make sure you’ve had a recent eye exam with an ophthalmologist to prevent blindness related to diabetes
Call to book your diabetic check-up today, and make sure to request a 30-minute appointment so we can spend enough time caring for you.
What can I do to keep myself healthy in between visits?
Diabetes, although a serious health condition, can be well controlled with lifestyle modifications and medications. Here’s a summary of what you can do to take control of your diabetes:
- Moderate exercise for 30 minutes per day. Walking is an excellent way to spend these 30 minutes!
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet. Make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, and try to limit consumption of “junk food”. By exercising and watching what you eat, you can achieve a healthy weight, which will also help keep your diabetes under control.
- Check your feet daily for any redness or broken skin. Wear properly fitting shoes that don’t pinch or constrict.
- Check your blood sugar regularly and come in for a visit if you’re having trouble keeping it under control. We may need to adjust your medications.
- Take note of any new symptoms you notice and make an appointment to see us soon. Catching complications of diabetes early is key to keeping you healthy.
- Come in for an annual diabetic check-up to make sure all other continuing care aspects of your diabetes are under control.
Coming soon, we’ll have group sessions led by a certified diabetic educator to help keep you up to date on the latest in diabetic care.