Safe, Effective Treatments for Acne
Acne is annoying and embarrassing at any age. It is important to treat acne because of the scarring it can cause as well as social embarrassment. Fortunately, there are several safe, effective options for acne treatment:
- A cleanser with salicylate and glycolic acids (Gly/Sal) helps disinfect the pores. We also recommend cleansing pads with Gly/Sal for a stronger treatment that stays on the skin actively combating acne throughout the day.
- Retinol – Everyone with acne needs to use a retinol. Examples are retinol from your doctor’s office, Retin-A brand prescription retinol, Differin and Tazorac. These are often drying for adults and the dosage needs to be regulated to cause the right amount of tissue exfoliation without inflammation. Our cosmetic versions have moisturizers and green tea formulates to be gentler on the skin.
- Topical or oral antibiotics – Generally, we prefer topical to avoid long term absorption of antibiotics, antibiotic resistance or destruction of the normal protector bacteria in the body.
Adjunct treatments we offer at the Chelsea Medicine and Laser office are:
- Levulan photodynamic therapy. This is a compound applied to the face and then activated with IPL (laser type light). It kills the bacteria deep in the pores and the positive effects can last a long time. An added benefit is that Levulan IPL treatment improves the texture and tone of the skin.
- Microdermabrasion safely “sands” the outer surface of the skin, thus opening the pores to the above topical treatments.
- Chemical peels are stronger versions of glycolic and salicylate and can help get the skin improving quicker. Peels are a favorite of teens before big events like prom, when it is important to have blemish-free skin.
If you are interested in individualized acne treatment, please call the office and ask for a free consultation with one of our aesthetic specialists.